Bookbinding News from the Czech Republic

--------------08DCAC0A7ACEF2AA70D9A5F4

<sound of news ticker doing its thing>

This late breaking news just in from Jan & Jarmila Sobota:

Dear David,

Finally! Our biggest event of the year, the III. Seminar of the Society
of Czech Bookbinders has ended.

We are completely tired, although Jan and I were only: organizing a
whole event, including food and lodging, putting up three exhibitions,
designing a catalog, raising money for the catalog, printing
invitations.

Our program:

On Wednesday afternoon we had a meeting of a committee of the Society of
Czech Bookbinders. All members also helped with an installing of two
exhibitions. This finished, & we all adjourned to our private cellar
until 4:00 A.M.

On Thursday: I was making labels for the books for our First Members
Exhibition, rest of people were installing this exhibit at the Loket
Castle. This was constantly interrupted by bookbinders coming too soon.
They were supposed to sign up from 5:00 P.M.

Evening we had lecture/slides show at the Castle. After, adjourned to
our cellar, again until 4:00 A.M.

On Friday Jan and I had workshops - one in the morning and one in the
afternoon. At Friday night we had the exhibitions opening with
reception. Again, afterwards everyone off to our cellar until 4:00 A.M.

On Saturday, two more bookbinders had two workshops. We were assisting.
At the evening here was a banquet where a music band, created out of
bookbinders in conjunction with our Loket friends-musicians played all
kind of music. We had a raffle and a big auction with a bonfire was at
the Castle courtyard. After, back to the cellar until 6:00 A.M.

On Sunday morning we had Annual Meeting Conference of our organization,
which started only 30 minutes late.

On Sunday afternoon, most people left, but some stayed. Those have left
just now [Thursday afternoon]. What we have been doing since Sunday I
don't know, my brain cells are gone.

We will have to recover as soon as possible though. There is so much
work for us for whole summer, no vacation planned before September. So
that is all for now, I am going to collapse.

Jan & Jarmila
<j.sobota@iol.cz>

===

Ah, the life of Czech bookbinders, "Drinking wine & singing songs, that
is my favorite way to do bookbinding." (Jarmila Sobotová) --Dave.
--------------08DCAC0A7ACEF2AA70D9A5F4

begin:vcard
n:Lawrence;David J.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.dhc.net/~lawrence/Atelier_Vavrinec/index.html
org:Atelier Vavrinec
adr:;;7304 Eccles Drive;Dallas;Texas;75227-9313;U.S.A.
version:2.1
email;internet:lawrence@dhc.net
fn:David J. Lawrence
end:vcard