Tim Ely Painted Book Workshop (SF, CA)

The Painted Book

Tim Ely is one of America's foremost book artists; he creates amazing
one-of-a-kind book objects, often containing characters and words from a
"language" of his own design. He calls this workshop "a metaphoric
investigation into structures and technologies that begins where fine
bookbinding left off in the early part of this century," and continues:
"The Painted Book endeavors to move on, utilizing new spaces and images,
refined techniques and novel materials. This flux integrates that aesthetic
experience of the visionary bookbinder with that of artists from many other
disciplines."

In this intensive class, students will construct an embryonic book
structure, explore and encode it both inside and out in numerous ways in
order to investigate, in some depth, the nature of four-dimensional,
time-based sculpture.

July 24-25, weekend, 10am-5pm
$150, bring $20 materials fee to class
San Francisco Center for the Book
300 DeHaro Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-565-0556
info@sfcb.org

Personal Testimony:
I took this class from Tim Ely several years ago and I loved it! I'm not
sure how similar the format for this upcoming one will be, but in the class
I took we "activated" large sheets of paper by drawing on them, then cut
them up and bound them into a book that was the starting place for a unique
carrier of personal expression and personally-chosen materials. Tim is
wonderful at inspiring you to experiment with applying many different
substances to your work from paint and other more traditional decorative
materials to dirt, rocks, plants and other less traditional materials. He
also adds a level of thoughtfulness not usually found in other classes. I
highly recommend this class (plus I'll be in it :-)
Jocelyn Bergen
President, PCBA

This workshop is sponsored by the Pacific Center for the Book Arts,
a networking and publishing organization, and member of the SF Center for
the Book:
$35/year to join PCBA includes benefits of 6xyear calendar/newsletter,
quarterly journal The Ampersand, a biennial non-juried members' exhibition
(on display now through July at the SF Public Library!), biennial auction,
and many other events. Write PCBA, 300 DeHaro, SF, CA 94103, or call
415-621-5744 for more info.