Christopher Clarkson lecture

  As previously announced on this list, Christopher Clarkson will be
giving a lecture in Boston at the public library on July 31 at 11 a.m.
His lecture will deal with the conservation of early (western) books. He
has suggested three articles that provide helpful background reading for
those interested in a little advance preparation:
  Two articles are by Clarkson himself and appeared in The Paper
Conservator (a professional journal)
    1) "The Conservation of Early Books in Codex Form", PC, vol
3(1978)pp. 33-50
    2) "Rediscovering Parchment: The Nature of the Beast", PC, vol.
16(1992) pp. 5-26
   A short privately printed monograph by Peter Franck, "A Lost Link in
the Technique of Bookbinding and How I Found It", Hawthourne House,
Gaylordsville, CT, 1941, is the third item, but it is difficult to find
and so may not be available to many.  (If you know someone who went to
North Bennet St. School when Mark Esser was there he or she will have
it.)
   Yes, I know, it was very sneaky of Chris to publish his article on
vellum in a journal for paper conservators, but that's what he did.
   Dorothy Africa