to Rommel John Miller and other depressed bookbinders......

On 9 Jul 99, at 20:47, Rommel John Miller wrote:

> I am giving up on my dream to become a bookbinder, the VA won't
approve or
> fund my study of it, they say that I would not be able to support myself
> if I become a bookbinder/conservator.  I hate the VA; I hate myself.

Dear John,

When you want to become a bookbinder just BE one ! Don't rely on
regulations, conventions, approvals, diploma's or whatsoever.
We had interesting conversations in the past about our (yes, our)
profession and to me you are a bookbinder and artist in heart and soul.

Just in case you didn't know: I have no official education in bookbinding and
restoration. I just started working and learned the basis working 3 years in
a bookrestoration-workshop. Then I thought it would be good to begin on
my own. And there I was: a bookbinder/restorer. Now I'm working for
museums (done the restoration of the sketchbooks of Vincent van Gogh),
university-libraries and many other institutions and private clients. Why ?
Because they trust me in what I do and how I work. Why ? Because I trust
myself and work hard (also on selfeducation..).

So please don't give up ! I'm sure lot's of people think the same way about
this....

Cor Knops.

___________________________
Knops Boekrestauratie
Conservation & Restoration of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
phone 00 31 46 4200024
fax   00 31 46 4110180
e-mail    knops@xs4all.nl
URL       http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/knops.htm
Also have a look at our Book Information Website:
          http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/index3.htm and on
          http://www.tonkoopman.nl