[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: history
- From: Meg Kennedy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:02:56 +0000
- Message-Id: <199907111711.KAA19664@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Patricia Grass wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good reference book that goes into the
> history of binding.
In addition to the previous titles mentioned, I have three books that
might help. Two, unfortunately, are out of print, but I was able to get
copies at a used book shop.
THE BOOK BEFORE PRINTING: Ancient, Medieval, and Oriental
by David Diringer (still available, paperback, Dover Publications, ISBN
THE BOOK: The Story of Printing & Bookmaking
by Douglas C. Mc Murtrie (Out of print, originally published by Oxford
University Press, 5th printing 1957, hardcover)
ORIGINS OF THE BOOK: Egypt's Contribution to the Development of the Book
>From Papyrus to Codex
by Mohamed A. Hussein (OP, hardcover, NY Graphic Society, 1973?)
Hope this helps. Good luck!