Books with pictures

Since the discussion on books about the history of bookbinding has
surfaced, I have a question:  If you are asked to rebind an older
book, say 18th or 19th or even 20th c., how do you decide what
sort of binding was originally on the book?  Thus:  is there a
book on the history of bookbinding that might describe and have
sketches of books over the years, esp. American and British...
I know this might be "pie in the sky" to hope for such a book...
Thanks in advance.   TL Herbert, Charleston, SC