Re: Make Weights

Greetings,

Making weights has been one of our specialties.

1.  Small weights useful for holding down pages whilst sewing, or
whatever, can be made by gluing lead monotype spacers together, and
covering them completely with good quality clean book cloth.
We have always four on hand, each about 6" long, and about 3/4"
square.

2.  We have a few bags of  lead shot sewn inside leather bags.
Available from conservation suppliers.  Also invaluable.

3.  Bricks.  We have six clean bricks, each covered twice all
over in very heavy weight book cloth, using PVA on the brick, and
on the cloth.  They are covered very tightly.  Most useful.  Takes
about an hour or so to make each one properly.

4.  We recently acquired four Book Weights.  They are lumps of
more or less rectangular cast iron, each with a moulded handle grips
parallel to the top face .  Each one weighs about 55 pounds, or 25kg.
They must be the best part of 60-100 years old; its a bit difficult to
tell.  We're having them sand-blasted, and then we'll paint them with
something.  The fellow from whom we acquired them advised us
that they were made especially for printers and/or bookbinders.
When we recently had a book to restore with covers 23" long, our
largest press couldn't do the job.  These four weights proved
invaluable.  Over 200 pounds is useful to have around!

Any weights you make, take the time to cover them properly, and
cover them with the best of materials.  Keep them clean, and they
will last you a lifetime.

Best to all.

Peter N. Krantz
Book Restorations.
P.O. Box 500,
North Sydney,
N.S.W.               2059,
AUSTRALIA.

(34 Clanville Road,  Roseville,  N.S.W.  2069,  AUSTRALIA.)

Telephone:  +61 2 9416.9900
Fax:  +61 2 9416.6800
Email:  bkfndrs@ozemail.com.au

Established:  1976