Position at the American Philosophical Society

POSITION AT THE AMERICAN PHILOSOPHICAL SOCIETY

The APS is offering a three year full-time position for a conservation
technician. This
position is made possible by a grant to re-house and preserve the APS
Library’s
important pamphlet collection.

The successful candidate is expected to disbind approximately 18,750
pamphlets and
place them into archival folders. They are organized into volumes
comprising  fifteen
pamphlets a piece.

The conservation technician will also custom-make approximately 1250
wrappers and
slipcases. This requires a production orientated mind and the ability to
work
independently, although supervision will be initially provided.
We are looking for a person with excellent manual skills and endurance
to see this project
through to a successful conclusion Previous experience in book related
preservation work
would be helpful.

The salary for this position is in the $25.000 range and includes health
and vacation
benefits.

Applications should be received by August 1, 1999. Please include a
letter explaining
your qualifications,  your resume and three references that we can
contact.

Hedi Kyle
Head Conservator
American Philosophical Society