Guillotine cutter/Affordable cutters

A suggestion for guillotine users:
During my apprenticeship, we used a sheet of binder board under paper that
was being cut. This allowed a nice clean cut of the bottom sheet since the
cutting stick wore out too quickly. While this method worked, it was not
ideal (the blade could be easily damaged by pieces of metal that can be found
in binder board).
For more than 10 years, we have been using one of those plastic
"self-healing" cutting mats that are available from art supply stores. It
works wonderfully well and it is long lasting.
Another important factor to keep in mind: Some (all?) guillotine blades have
an adjustment to prevent the blade from cutting too deep into the stick (or
the mat). The blade should be properly adjusted. It should only cut as deep
as is needed to avoid undue wear on the cutting stick (or the cutting mat).

Bill Minter
Woodbury, PA