Raffia

Good morning all:
I use raffia to make Japanese style bindings. I used to find long, strong,
natural - colored raffia at Michaels, the craft store. Yesterday I went in to
replenish my stock and found only short clippings. Their raffia seemed like
it had been treated with some strong chemicals because it was extremely weak.
Any ideas on where I could find the good kind? Also, are there any
substitutes for raffia - natural materials which still have the same look?

Thank you my friends,
Suhag