Re: Standing presses

While standing presses may not be necessary with modern adhesives (we do use
both paste and PVA) we have found that long term  pressing (24 - 48 hours)in
a standing press, even when using PVA, consistently produces a "nicer" or
"sharper" looking book than short term pressing in something like a nipping
press. In addition they open cleaner and we have fewer problems with uneven
adhesion etc.

This is regardless of the binding being pressed. Whether it be single or
multiple signature, grooved or not, etc.

Kurt Klappenbach
Loud Creek Books & Bindery
P.O. Box 8120
Bangor, ME   04402-8120