Re: Standing presses

        When I began assembling my studio I asked Eleanore Ramsey one day about
standing presses, since she has a real, old-time, tall, solid wooden one.
I knew that these usually go for $several thousand, even used.
        She told me that a binder friend of hers, looking for a solution, bought a
12 ton hydraulic press, the kind used for machine-shops for pressing
bearings, from Harbor Freight for about $99, and found that it worked
admirably for her purposes.
        I ordered one, and they deliver anything over $50.
        It was made in China, came in a box and "required assembly," a bit of a
challenge since some of the holes were too small for bolts, etc., and all
bolts were metric.  I drilled out the holes and bought replacements for the
missing bolts and put together on a 2x4 rig with castors, then put an 18" x
24" x 2" platform bolted to the I-beams below the inverted hydraulic jack
that forms the press part.  It works very well for me.  I use it especially
after mending a book's sections and before sewing, to compress the thing,
with pressing boards.  The press comes with a pair of cast-iron blocks
about 6" square and 1" thick to go under the jack and on top of the
pressing boards.
        If anyone is interested in locating Harbor Freight, which is mostly, I
think, a southern Calif. importer, drop me a line at <cescherm@usa.net>.
        Hope this is helpful.

Charles Schermerhorn

At 12:13 PM 8/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>While standing presses may not be necessary with modern adhesives (we do use
>both paste and PVA) we have found that long term  pressing (24 - 48 hours)in
>a standing press, even when using PVA, consistently produces a "nicer" or
>"sharper" looking book than short term pressing in something like a nipping
>press. In addition they open cleaner and we have fewer problems with uneven
>adhesion etc.
>
>This is regardless of the binding being pressed. Whether it be single or
>multiple signature, grooved or not, etc.
>

>Kurt Klappenbach
>Loud Creek Books & Bindery
>P.O. Box 8120
>Bangor, ME   04402-8120