Presses and flexible non-french groove Bibles.

This may sound like a foolish question, but I make a lot of flexible leather
bindings for small and medium size Bibles. They have no French groves at all.
One thing I have noticed is that when I put the Bible in the press, the
pressure causes the leather on the spine to sort of pull back from the spine
a little. I like the leather spine to fit closely to the back of the book. I
don't like to see any space between the two. Should this type of book be
pressed for more than a few minutes? Has anyone written about this type of
binding that I could refer to? I do many Bibles like this, and they look
good, but I would like them to look better. Thanks again. JT