Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 2 Aug 1999 to 3 Aug 1999

Pete,

I am unclear if we are talking about repaired books or newly made ones.
Repaired books, especially large bound journals, can have a very large area
of the hinge and end paper pulled away from the board.  This operation
requires a quantity of PVA that takes time to properly set.  I have found
that the best result comes from the standing press using brass-edged
boards.  These as well as other items removed too soon simple do not hold
well and cockle like crazy.  Same goes for newly applied spine cloth.
Ditto for new end papers.  And we do try to use the least amount of PVA
possible to cut down on the drying time.

However, reglued hinges have a small space to which adhesive is applied so
nipping for a short time would work out well.

The PVA we use is not really fast drying, of course depending on the amount
used and the amount of water used to thin, if any.  I believe this is one
of the virtues.  We use a Gaylord product.

>    I believe the standing press is both unnecessary for high volume work =
>and, given modern PVA adhesives, is a relic of the past.   Whereas starch =
>pastes and traditional hide glues may have required a stay in the press of =
>up to 24 hours, repairs made with modern PVAs can set in a matter of =
>minutes.   I have both a standing press and 2 smaller, stacking glue =
>presses.  These three presses have collected dust for the last ten years =
>as they have been replaced by one smaller, benchtop press that does one =
>book at at time.   The average dwell time for each book in the press is =
>probably somewhere between 3 and 10 minutes and is determined by the time =
>it takes to have the next book ready to put in the press.  I have done =
>runs where we have glued and pressed a 100 books in a day with no =
>problems.   The small benchtop press (I must admit a bias - this press is =
>the Casing Press , a press I designed, manufactured and sell, both =
>directly and through Gaylord) is more efficient to use and takes up =
>considerably less shop space.  Once books are removed from the press I =
>simply stack them and place an unweighted board on top of the stack.  I =
>have had no problems with either adhesion or warping.
>
>    Though not a historian of binding, I conjecture that  the standing =
>press was important in times of yore for two reasons.  As stated earlier, =
>traditional adhesives are relatively slow to set and simply needed more =
>press time.  The other reason, and one that would still be valid today, is =
>the need to press signatures prior to sewing.  Whereas, modern adhesives =
>substantially shorten the dwell time needed for pressing a glued up book, =
>pressing a group of signatures is not something that can be hurried.   In =
>this case, where an overnight dwell time is necessary, the efficiencies of =
>a standing press are obvious as a single-book press would limit ones =
>sewing production to a single book a day.  It is also my guess, however, =
>that the modern library repair operation is not handsewing books in volume =
>and could probably get on quite well without a standing press.
>

>Pete Jermann
>Preservation Officer/Bookbinder
>Friedsam Memorial Library
>St. Bonaventure University
>St. Bonaventure, NY 14778
>Tel. (716) 375-2324

                                    Claudia Stall
                          Head, Collection Preservation Unit
                               San Diego State University
                             Library and Information Services

             "Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently."