Re: Standing Press

Pete,

I would have a problem with built-in poly edged boards, unless there are
interchangeable boards with varied diameter rods. My repair work, usually
single volumes, requires rods from 12 to 18 inches long and from 1/16 to
5/32" in thickness. When I started out, I used coat hanger wire,
lightweight and heavier, protecting the work from possible rust with waxed
paper and wrapping the extending ends of the wire together with rubber
bands or tape. Then I put the book in the press between bookboards just
covering the rods. It worked fine until I needed longer straight wire than
I could get from a coathanger.

When I made an edition of 75 miniatures, I used 6" lengths of that green
florist's wire from a craft store for rods.

I bought three sizes of  36" brazing rods (brass) and cut them into
appropriate lengths. These have served quite satisfactorilly for years. I
did glue a 12" bamboo skewer onto the edges of a pair of book boards, but
don't use it much because it just never seems to fit the book I'm working
on. I also bought some plexiglass rods from Gaylord but find them
unsatisfactory because they're too flexible, hard to handle, and too thick
for the average novel-sized book.

How long are the built-in poly edged boards on your press? Or do you have

At 06:30 AM 8/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
>From:    Kathleen Parulski <ibindbooks@SNET.NET>
>Subject: Re: Standing Presses
>
>Pete,
>
>I tend to agree with you.  But, who makes the press you mention with the
>built-in poly edged boards?  Is it your creation? And are there specks?<<<<=
>

>   I designed and manufacture (handcraft) the Casing Press under the =
>auspices of my very small company TeMPeR Productions of which I am chief, =
>cook and bottlewasher in addition to my full time job (I will soon be =
>ending my 23 year bookbinding and preservation career at St. Bonaventure =
>University to stay at home with my now 8 month old daughter (and her 2 =
>much older siblings) and to, hopefully, grow TeMPeR Productions into a =
>full time occupation).  (Back to the press...) The press is a wood press =
>with a steel screw.  The platens are 12 1/2" x 9" with 3" of daylight.  =
>Not wanting to commercialize this list if anybody has any further =
>inquiries please feel free to direct them to me off list at temper@cis.com.=
>

>=20
>
>Pete Jermann
>Preservation Officer/Bookbinder