Toner refills - forget it!

gmcneese@SURFSOUTH.COM writes:

<< I have no experience with toner refills for laser printers. Anybody out
 there have an opinion about those?  >>

Yeah, from my experience, don't wast your time with them.  The only way to go
is with original (in my case HP) toner cartridges.   Some folks will
certainly pop up that they have been happy with this or that supplier. My
experience says otherwise. The latest and worst experience was with Access
Computer Products.  These folks came highly recommended from somebody whose
opinion I truly respect.   So I dedicided to give them a try.    The horrors!
  First off they quoted a price that was as high as what I was paying for a
new HP cartridge at Office Depot. Talked to a manager (Tony) and we
negotiated a lower price. Eventually I got a cartridge (Tony wanted a copy of
one of my Office Depot receipts to verify the price I said I was paying and
apparently he never got the fax I sent so he never filled the order)
Unfortunately the problems were only starting. The cartridge I got from
Access Computer Products was not an extented output cartridge like I ordered
but was a standard capacity. The problem was that this made the negotiated
price no more of a bargain than the Office Depot price.    Never the less I
decided to give the cartridge a try and after  a about a thousand pages it
started to produce streaks down one side.  Sent it back and told them about
getting the wrong cartridge and they sent me another one. Well this one was
also the wrong cartridge. Tried this cartridge and almost immediately it was
dumping toner out one edge. This showed up as a black band on one side of the
pages and it was also dumping toner into my printer which wasn't very nice.
Computer Access sent another cartridge out, after I talked to the Quality
Control guy who assured me that they really only had the high capacity
cartridges and the others must have been mismarked.  Well I finally do get a
high capacity cartridge. After about 1000 sheets it starts to smell like
burning plastic and the print output is horrid.    I get a return
authorization from Computer Access to return all the cartridges along with
examples of the failed output.   My reward was that Computer Access wouldn't
even refund my monies.   I figured it was a lesson hard learned and I will
never again buy any toner cartridges from a second tier supplier. It just
isn't worth it.  Now I get my HP cartridges from ONSALE for a price that
beats all the second tier suppliers and I get the real deal, having used
countless HP toner cartridges now without a single failure of any kind.

dt fletcher