Re: Pictures of Bookbinding

"D. Guffey" wrote:

> The "Encyclopedie ou dictionnaire raisonne des sciences, des arts et dest
> metiers" edited by Denis Diderot and Jean le Round d'Alembert, 1751-80,
> Paris, has many illustrations of bookbinding and marbling which I have seen
> reproduced in many other books.  I believe it is copyright free, given the
> age of the publication.  I especially like the illustrations of marbling, as
> the technique hasen't changed over the centuries.
>
> At 05:27 PM 8/7/99 EDT, you wrote:
> >Does anyone know where I can find a print of a bindery for decoration in my
> >shop?

I agree with Mr. Duffey - Diderot's and d'Alembert's grand encyclopedia
is a great source if you are looking for v.beautiful engraved
illustrations. There are complete copies of this encyclopedia scattered
in libraries all over the world, even though some libraries might be
reluctant to have photos taken of the pages - not because of copyright
issues but because of »handling of rare books« issues.

However, there is a complete facsimile of the encyclopedia that you can
use and order photos from.

And if you want to be able to pick an original volume out of your own
bookshelf, you might even want to buy the complete 18th century edition
yourself! :-) The first edition goes for about US$50,000 and the edition
from 1777 is already down to US$9,500.

Regards,
Mats Broberg
Stockholm - SWEDEN