holes in bindings

I'm looking for input on the best way to put holes in my bindings. I
have a hole punch (the kind you use with a hammer)and  a hand held
drill. I have had holes drilled at Kinko's before and they turned out
nice - but I get frayed edges when I try to do it. I'm probably doing
something wrong. Is there a special kind of bit to use?

Oh yes - I want holes through two pieces of chip board and about 35
pieces of text weight paper.

Amy