Re: gift wrap

I agree with Joyce and Sonja; use good quality hand or machine printed
papers or Tyvek instead of wrapping paper. Someone new to bookbinding may
not realize how important it is to pay attention to the grain of the paper
or cloth in covering boards. I don't think you have to worry about grain in
using Tyvek, but for all papers with a definite grain, the covering paper
or cloth must be used with the grain in the same direction as that in the
board you are covering.

In order to get a smooth job laminating paper to paper, board or cloth, the
grain of each piece must run in the same direction. Because these materials
 will stretch more crossgrain than they will with the grain, pasting them
together with the grain in different directions will result in wrinkles.

Please check the archives for previous threads on grain.

At 10:00 AM 08/15/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>In my experience gift wrap is a waste of your time and talents.  The
>patterns may be wonderful but the quality of the paper is not good
>enough.  I covered a sketchbook with some gift wrap a friend brought me
>from Italy.  It wore through and faded dramatically and as you pointed
>out, the paper is so thin it doesn't take well to glue.
>
>Joyce
>Petersburg, Alaska

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA