Re: paper grain

All binders boards that I'm familiar with have a definite grain.
Mail-order vendors note grain direction, as do paper sample books
available through distributors.  I test everything by touch--it doesn't
take long to learn to distinguish differences as the stock is gently
bent into an arc.  If I'm not sure, then I do a moisture test.  Some
matboard has definite grain, some has very little, if any, which I've
assumed is related to the orientation of the plies of the board.

It becomes routine to mark grain on everything you cut, regardless of
what it is...even cloth scraps.

Carol P.
Eugene, OR