Need restoration and conservation

I am seeking several highly skilled and professional bookbinders to whom I
can send work.  I am a private collector of fine books and
pamphlets, and spend about $50,000 per year on book binding and
conservation on my collection.

1.  I need one or two more bookbinders who can do the finest quality
leather restoration and leather clamshell boxes, capable of making rounded
spines, four-sided trays with finger cut-outs, raised bands, ornate and
fine gilt stamping, and blind-stamping, etc.  I am happy to pay the market
price for quality work, though I am experienced at this and know what
prices are typical.  I have paid as much as $4,000 to fix a single book.
Most of my books are worth between $5,000 and $50,000.

2.  I  need one bookbinder or company to bind inexpensive reference
materials and modest books, and make clamshell boxes for pamphlets of
lesser importance in full cloth, but tastefully done in good quality.  I am

looking for this type of work to be done efficiently and at a reasonable
cost.

3.  I need a paper conservator who can feather paper mends together so that

they can hardly be detected, like the old conservators in the middle of
this century used to be able to do, like mending torn title pages, filling
holes in end papers, replacing torn corners, adding facsimile text where
text is lacking, replacing missing end papers with contemporary paper, etc.

I want craftsmen who understand American bookbinding and paper in the
period 1830-1860.  I want artisans who will use the same materials,
leathers (sheepskin), hand-marbled papers (spanish marbling), original
period paper for mending holes, similar techniques, etc. that were used in
the period, and good cosmetic repairs using acrylic paints, dyes, and
artistic ability to mottle leather, give antique finishes to new leather
and age any new gilt, etc.  I want work by experts with aesthetic skill
too, not just technical talent.

Please respond to my personal address, John@Mormonism.com - rather than my
address used for listserv mail.

--
JOHN HAJICEK

mailto:John@Mormonism.com
http://www.Mormonism.com

3514 Saddle Ridge Drive
Independence (Jackson County), Missouri 64057-3355

(800) 862-5667    Toll-free
(816) 220-3141    Local
(816) 220-3142    Fax
(816) 213-6141    Wireless