archival topics, and pochoir

I checked the list archive for stuff about permanence of laser printed
materials and found myself looking at 1995 pieces mentioning papers no
longer made, and of course technology changes, so I'd like to retread this
path ...

Our village is preparing a Millennium Book about people living in the
village. One copy will go in a time capsule for a period yet to be decided
(someone said 1,000 years but I suspect we shall have done ourselves in by
then), another will be made publicly available (eg at a local library) and
about 200 copies will be distributed to villagers.

The first thought of those producing it is of course to print 202 copies
off their PC via their laser printer onto ordinary laser paper stock. I
suggested they might want to think about the archival problems and
volunteered to get some information about the current state of play on
this, in particular

        the archival properties of laser printing - how long does the printing
remain legible?
        good papers for laser printing - how long before the paper crumbles?

The time capsule copy will be sealed and protected. The public copy will
get handled and exposed. The villager copies will get ... who knows what.
Binding is another matter of course. And then there is the cost ....

All help gratefully received.

I've had some useful replies on the topic of stencilled artwork on printed
sheets. The reason I raised the question was that I printed the text first,
letterpress onto dampened hand-made paper. But when the artist came to
stencil onto the sheets, the areas where the type had compressed the paper
took more colour and consequently produced an image of the other side of
the sheet that looked at first glance like set-off, but wasn't. My first
thought was to have the pochoir done first and then to print onto it but
that would mean dampening and pressing sheets that have been stencilled. I
have (eg) Nonesuch Press books with pochoir and type that was probably
printed onto damp sheets and they didn't have this problem so I must be
doing something wrong, unless it is the paper in some way.

Best wishes, Martyn Ould

The Old School Press
e-mail  mao@the-old-school.demon.co.uk
mobile  +44 (0)7970 166 971