classes

Hello All,

it is the time of year again where i start my advertising campaign offering
classes and my services in book repair and restoration.

In September/October, i will give classes on Saturdays and Sundays in my
new, asofyetonlywarmweatherstudio.

The number of participants for each class is limited  to 8. If you want to
take a class with a particular group of people, please let me know and a
special session may be arranged.

class1

BOOKMAKING

Make one book as a blank journal or model for future book projects.
Boards will be covered with paste paper. As paper is folded in preparation
for sewing i will talk about properties of paper.
Textblock will be sewn on tapes linking threads in the tradition of German
trade bindings. Tapes and sewing remain uncovered exploiting their
decorative features. A secondary sewing may be used to weave patterns and
add trinkets.
Non adhesive textblock, tapes and endsheets adhered to boards.
I will talk about how a fabric of one's choice may be prepared to use as
cover material.

All materials will be provided.
You may bring a pencil, a pad for notes, a ruler, scissors, two rags,tools
that seem useful. Trinkets: items with holes or loops to be fastened to the
sewing on the spine.

5hrs plus lunch break
10:00 - 15:00
Tuition $42.00
Materials $8.00
Total $50.00

Sunday, September 5,
Saturday, September 18
Sunday, Oct. 3

class 2

PAPER/DOCUMENT REPAIR

Learn how to mend paper based pages and documents with wheat starch paste
and japanese paper.
You may bring a document with tears or holes to work on . General
instruction and individual help will be given.
All materials will be provided.

3 hrs
10:00 - 13:00
Tuition $30.00
Materials $5.00
Total $35.00

Sunday, September 26

class 3

PASTE PAPER

Learn how to make paste decorated paper.
Paste Papers were one of the earliest forms of decorative papers. They were
prepared and used by German Bookbinders for both cover papers and endsheet
papers from the 16th thru the 18th centuries.
In this process designs are worked into a special preparation of paste and
dye that has been spread on paper. Most beautiful and decorative designs
can be created just using your fingers. Make smaller sheets or use them to
experiment to then create your own two large sheets of gift wrapping paper.
All materials provided.
You may bring papers of your choice to experiment with. Evaluation.
You may bring items to create designs/impressions with (like cookie cutter
rollers)

3 hrs
10:00 - 13:00
Tuition $30.00
Materials $5.00
Total$35.0

Saturday, September 4
Sunday, September 19

If desired, classes may be scheduled later in October.

Gudrun Aurand
Bookbinder/Conservator
Pullman, WA
(509) 334-9732