Re: Edges

The question about the copper edge may be answered from an experience I had
yesterday when looking at some pochoir I did with gold powder some years ago.

The "gold" is now completely "copper"...and this makes me believe that the
powder used (Maimeri) was actually not what it seemed. Time and oxidation
doing their work returned the material to its true nature. So if the leaf
used for the edge gilding was of a similar composition, then it would be a
copper base. Voila! A copper gilt edge. This is one possible explanation, at
least.

Paula Marie Gourley
Lilyhouse Bookbindery
Eugene, Oregon 97405