Speckled Edges

Does anyone know how to get a nice uniform spekled edge on books. I have some
orders for them, but have never seriously tried to do it.  I need to know
both the technique and what kind of dye. Must I use a commercial "book edge
dye"? Or are there other inks or something that works as well?
 I found a nice little brush that looks like a  short test tube brush on a
spindle and as the brush rotates the bristles hit a little bar that splatters
the ink. So far it is the best method I have found.
Also any tips on edge coloring would be helpful. Again I would need to know
the type of ink or dye. Thanks JT