Re: bone fasteners

In a message dated 8/20/99 1:58:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ls973@CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU writes:

<<  Does anyone know of a source for those bone tabs used to fasten the
closures that are often found on Chinese books? Plastic would be okay too.
Thanks - Kay >>

< This may not be practical for you, but I whittle them from wood.  It takes
very little time and a craft knife. Lorre  >

Even simpler and quicker is to make it from paper.  Make a long skinny
triangle of paper; glue one side of the paper; beginning at the short edge of
the triangle roll the triangle (glue-side to the inside).  If you didn't
learn to do this in elementary school then your arts program may have been
lacking :)  If you mash the rolled paper bead flat, it will be about the same
shape as a bone fastener.  You can also sand them, lacquer them, saw them,
etc.

I have a picture of a rough-and-ready one I made for a small edition of a
paperbound book. I made two holes with an awl and then thread through as with
a bone fastener.

<A
HREF="http://www.nettally.com/bethlee/pagepocket.htm">http://www.nettally.com/
bethlee/pagepocket.htm</A>