Announcing the latest two books=20
from the Scripps College Press
in Claremont, California:

SWEET & SOUR     FALL 1998
Edition: 60 copies     $125.00

BOUSTROPHEDON    SPRING 1999
Edition: 77 copies         $125.00

SWEET & SOUR          =20
The time-honored method for printing books with hand-set=20
type is to set the first several pages until you run out of type,=20
print, and distribute the type; then you set the next several=20
pages, print and distribute type again.

At the Scripps College Press, we rarely have enough cases
of type in a single face to print an entire book. But we also
rarely have enough time in a semester to set type, print,=20
distribute, and set more of the same type. So, often our=20
books come in a variety of typefaces. It is always a challenge=20
to make such potentially disconnected books look integrated.

But what if we have dialogue: wouldn=92t this give one a chance
to explore different voices through typefaces? So that became=20
the challenge of the semester: to create two distinctive=20
characters who would develop a dialogue. Thus the students=20
could explore typefaces that might reflect these personalities.=20
The two different characters, one that they liked, and one they=20
didn=92t like so much, who would then have a dialogue. This gave
them a chance to explore different voices through typefaces.

The two characters are presented on the left and right sides=20
of the dialogue in triptych page format. It was printed on three=20
Vandercook presses with distinct personalities: the smooth=20
Universal I, the muscle-building Universal III, and the stubborn
 old Vandercook 4. The paper is Somerset Newsprint Grey,=20
which stands up nicely when you pull the book open for display,=20
showing all the characters. The printing colors were selected=20
by determining which inks would be mixed to print the actual=20
color of the paper. The imagery was created with cut and=20
uncut linoleum blocks and experimental printmaking techniques.=20
The triptychs were sewn to each other and laid in a brown and=20
red cloth case. The front matter and titles were set in 14 pt.=20
Centaur and Arrighi. Other typefaces used include Garamond,
Ehrhardt, Optima, Fournier, and Scripps College Old Style.=20
The size is 6.75=94 x 12=94, and was printed in an edition of 60 copies.

BOUSTROPHEDON:=20
an ancient mode of writing in alternate lines, on from right=20
to left and the next from left to right, as fields are plowed.

This book is a field, the reader the harvester of its gifts.=20
As a landscape poem, the words are the guide and the=20
reward. The Book of Songs, a  collection of ancient Chinese=20
poetry and songs, inspired the English words of the book.=20
Particularly inspiring verses are reproduced in traditional=20
Chinese script, written out by Vivian Koo, and serve as=20
a balance to the English text.

The ten voices conversing in this book are those of the=20
printers at the Scripps College Press during the spring=20
of 1999. The song that blooms out of the the landscape
is paced with the reader=92s movement. Creation happens
spontaneously between all things, leaving behind a=20
preconceived linear experience in which the journey must=20
end. This book asks to be read form both directions.

Cheng Chi=92en=92s The Three Perfections describes the=20
harmony between poetry, painting and calligraphy. These
perfections unite in lyrical storytelling, cast across a=20
spacious landscape. The open space, a traditional element=20
in Asian Art, incites the dialogue between text and image.=20
The reader is allowed to journey through and complete
the landscape. The void is potential, a reciprocal invitation.=20
The Asian aesthetic is carried by Japanese paper water-
marked with Japanese calligraphy and by Chinese binding.=20
Our choice of paper allows for flexibility, which is a hallmark
 of Asian books.

Deepening our concept of balance, Cheng Chi=92en=92s The=20
Three Perfections explains the ideal harmony of painting,=20
calligraphy and poetry. Chinese books achieve this unique=20
balance by using one implement, a brush, to create the=20
images and the writing. In Western book production,=20
cooperation between the elements is more difficult to=20
achieve. Developing a visual narrative is the ultimate goal=20
of our book. It not merely an anthology of authors, it is a=20
unified work derived from a shared vision. The challenge=20
facing the class was to produce a cohesive book influenced
by both Western and Eastern ideals.

Our book is printed by letterpress in Scripps College Old=20
Style typeface, 14 and 16/18 point. Imagery was created
using cut paper under the tympan and with cut linoleum=20
blocks. The text is printed on Japanese calligraphic paper=20
which enfolds the printed image. The watermarked=20
calligraphy is a letter from someone who was ill. Upon=20
recovery she gives thanks for the kind support of a friend.
Every double-page spread is stamped with personal seals=20
which were carved in China. The size is 9 x 12.

To order these books, or to receive a list of books in print
at the Scripps College Press, contact Kitty Maryatt,
Director of the Press at
KMaryatt@ScrippsCol.edu
or telephone 909 607 3866.
You can view these books and others
at the Scripps College Press web site at
www.scrippscol.edu/~dept/art/press/index.html