KITTY MARYATT
Two Hands Press
22137 Avenue San Luis
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
818 703-0257
TwoHandsPr@aol.com

THREE BLANK JOURNALS AS FABULOUS GIFTS
September 4-5
This class is perfect for beginners. We=92ll make three books
over the weekend: one with a paper cover, one with cloth, and
one with suede. The first book will be sewn on wide ribbons
which will be laced into a paper cover with a reinforced spine.
The second book will be sewn on bookcloth tapes which will=20
be glued onto hard boards covered with bookcloth. The spine
will be exposed. The third book will be sewn directly into
suede leather, with no tapes and no glue. It has a very nice
flexibility to it.They are all very different from the journals you=20
can find in bookstores, and are all inexpensive to make and
look great. Which materials to use and where to get them will
be discussed. This class is especially for those who have
wanted to bind multiple signature books but don=92t know where
to start. It is also for those who have perhaps studied only tra-
ditional binding and want to make something a little different.=20
There will be an extra $10 cost for the leather.

LET ME COUNT THE WAYS=20
September 11-12
This class is always popular, so here it is once again! There
are at least 100 different ways to sew signatures together to
make books, including sewing over tapes, over cords and
using unsupported sewing structures. In this class, you will=20
sew about 50 variations on index cards which will simulate
sewing through the fold on signatures. In this way, you will
begin to understand how to bind books in many different ways
and the function of each technique. You will also learn about
oversewing and tacketing and the famous caterpillar stitch.=20
This approach was taught to me by Betsy Eldridge at PBI=20
(Paper and Book Intensive) many years ago, and I think it is=20
extremely helpful for gaining perspective on the binding
 process.
=20
ROUNDING AND BACKING A CASE-BOUND BOOK:=20
Ascona Style  =20
October 2-3
Would you really like to learn how to do a really beautiful tradi-
tional cased book? In this class, you will learn how rounded
backs function differently than a flat back and how to put a
case on a rounded back. We will round the back of a book
sewn on tapes on the bench and then use a job backer and
backing hammer to back the book. You will attach bookcloth
hooks to the first and last signature and then attach them to
the case after your book is backed. We will infill the inside of
the boards and then place paper on the inside and your book
is done! We=92ll also recess a label on the front cover. This style
is called a Bradel binding; I learned it when I studied with Hugo
Peller at the Centro del bel Libro at Ascona in Switzerland.

Classes are from 9:00 to 5:00 Saturday and Sunday.
Cost: $175 and includes all materials except leather.
A non-refundable deposit of $85 is required
to hold a place in each workshop.
Deposit will be returned if enrollment is insufficient.

REGISTRATION
Deadline September 1

Confirmation of enrollment and a list of tools required
will be sent upon receipt of deposit.
Please feel free to telephone, FAX, or e-mail the numbers
above for more information.

Two Hands Press is a book arts design studio where we=20
do commercial work for clients. We design trade books,=20
design, print and bind limited edition books both by letterpress
 and on the computer, fabricate custom bookbindings, portfo
lios and boxes and do calligraphic lettering and logos.

NOTE THE DATES: I will be giving classes in San Diego and=20
Seattle this Fall. In San Diego I will teach strong double-wall=20
clamshell boxes on August 28 and 29. In Seattle, the class is
 for calligraphers. We will be designing a modern manuscript,
 or artist=92s book, by looking at medieval layout structures and
 making the ideas contemporary. The date is November 13-14.
 The Goudy Lecture at Scripps will be given on November 6 by
 Frank Mowery, Head Conservator at the Folger Shakespeare
 Library in Washington, D.C. He will also be teaching a work
shop on November 6-7 on making brass clasps for wood-cov
ered books. The Guild of Book Workers annual Standards
Seminar is October 28-31, and the Society forCalligraphy Birthday Party is=20
October 24. If you want any more information=20
about these events, please contact me at
 TwoHandsPr@aol.com or at (818) 703-0257.

THE FUTURE: Many people have requested some long-term
 bookmaking instruction, either from the bookbinding structure
 side or from the artists=92 book angle, or both. By long-term, I
 mean probably three-month-long continuing classes. Please
 contact me if you are interested in fine binding or in an artists=92
 books long-term class.