Pulled paste papers with yarn/string

I keep reading about pulled paste papers in which some sort of string is put
between the sheets before the sheets are pulled apart.  I've been asked by a
publisher to come up with an example for publication.
    The ones I did yesterday are just dreadful.   Does anyone have any
suggestions, ideas?   I'm finding that if the cord is too thick, the papers
don't touch and I get sort of a halo around the cord/yarn, etc, instead of
that neat pulled pattern.   Something thinner seems to disappear under the
paste.
    Or is what happens is that the usable paper is the top one where the
yarn acts as a resist?
    Sorry, folks.   Hate to come back to paste papers yet again, but I
couldn't find an answer in the archives.
    Thanks.
virginia@grove.net