Re: a newbie surfaces

I'm new as well but have been soaking up the enormous amount of information
on this list.  Re: applying a medium on paper - I use maps and pages from
old atlases and find the medium very successful.. One of my books I use as
a travel journal and it wouldn't have held up for three years without it...
still looks great and feels good too.