Re: Wax on wooden tablets

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Marie Celeste Edwards wrote:
> I'm reading about 'the origin of the book' right now.
>
> Whenever I come across a reference to wooden tablets filled with wax for =
> writing on, I always want to know what this 'wax' consisted of.
>
> Pure wax really can't be written on because it flakes. I assume whatever =
> they used would have to have had a paste-like consistency to be able to =
> 'smooth' the surface to reuse the tablets.

Tallow?

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.

To subscribe to WOID:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/WOID