Re: Pulled paste papers with yarn/string

I admit right up front that I'm not familiar with the pulled string
technique as applied to paste paper, but the description reminds me of
an art activity taught to me as a little kid in school. Paper was
covered with paint--probably tempera or fingerpaint (what IS
fingerpaint, anyway?), given the venue--and then draped with loops of
string. Then the paper was folded in half and pressed together, while
the string was dragged out by one end. When the paper was unfolded, the
dragged string had left a decorative swirled effect that could be quite
striking.

I wonder if this is what the requestor had in mind, and not just string
used as a  motionless element in paste papering. If so, it would seem
that using a paste with a creamy consistency (like fingerpaint) might
allow this swirly, swept look to happen. Of course, pulling the paper
apart will add a smoochy, stucco effect too. Best results would probably
occur with a fairly thin coat of paste so you get less stucco and more
swirl.  But hey, don't take my word for it. Experiment!

Betty Steckman