Paring machine tips?

I've been using both a Brockman and Schaer-fix to do initial paring of leather. Problem
I'm having is that no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get the cutting mechanism
parallel to the roller/bar. End up with valleys and ridges that are then a pain to work
out.

Does anyone have any tips on what I could do get the blade & roller parallel to cut down
on the amount of time (and frustration) it takes to pare? --Dave.

David J. Lawrence
Dallas, Texas