Paring machine tips?

Dear Paula,

Possessing superior technique I'm sure you never resort to the crude apparatus mentioned
below, but could you give me some hints? --Dave.

PS: We're having my mom & dad over this evening. It's his 69th birthday. The bible I was
(and unfortunately still am) recovering for his b-day is not ready. Sliced a pretty big
hole in the $125 skin yesterday morning. Luckily, Pam helped me repair it so the piece of
leather can still be used.