Notes from the front lines

It's been a busy summer and it's time to give a quick update before pressing
on to new projects.

The 1999 Book Arts Jamboree ran for three weeks and each session proved to be
an exciting bookmaking adventure.  The final report covering all of the
programs has been published in the latest issue of Book Arts Classified. If
you would like a complementary copy, send us your snail mail address off
list.  Please do not respond to the list.

Thanks to Steve Warren, it is also possible to access the final report and
colorful photos from the Jamboree at: <A
HREF="http://www.artistbooks.com/">www.artistbooks.com</A> This is a work in
progress, so please be patient while we work on smoothing out the details.

At Book Central just about every order is being shipped on the day it is
received.  The Jamboree depleted our inventory and there are still a few
books that are in the process of being delivered to us.  Again, thanks to
Steve, there have been some nice changes to the Book Central web site.  When
you go to <A HREF="http://www.artistbooks.com/">www.artistbooks.com</A> you
will find expanded book descriptions, color photos of most books and, by
popular demand, we now accept Visa/MasterCard.

On a personal note, there is some exciting news as well.  On September 15, an
exhibition of my books called, "Thinking Editions," opens in the Lammot du
Pont Copeland Gallery in the Nathan Marsh Pusey Library at Harvard
University.  The show will feature 60 artist book multiples produced by
Editions between 1989 and 1999.  There will be pop-up, tunnel, carousel,
accordion, single-sheet, shape, cast papier-mache, and even a conventional
codex or two will be displayed. Included in the show are twenty framed page
layouts.  In many cases they show how the books were printed before they were
assembled.

There are photographs and descriptions of most of the books that will be
included in the exhibit at <A
HREF="http://www.artistbooks.com/">www.artistbooks.com</A>

If you live in the Boston area, please plan to attend the reception in the
gallery on Tuesday, October 5, from 5 to 7 p.m.  I would love to meet you and
show you my books.  It will also be a nice opportunity for you to meet and
mingle with other book artists and those interested in the book arts in your
area.  It's likely that you will go home with a multicolored flexagon that
turns in on itself to list all of the books on display.  If at all possible,
please come!

Once the excitement dies down I will be going into a long-planned-for and
much-looked-forward-to seclusion to work on new projects. It's been an
eventful summer, now it's time to get back to the studio.

Ed