Re: A Russian Capitalist Abandons the Rat Race to Pursue a Lost Art

In a message dated 09/07/99 6:16:19 AM, pdverhey@DREAMSCAPE.COM writes:

<< Mr. Suspitsyn still moves in the big-money world: he retained minority
stakes in his old companies and receives dividends, much of which go to
subsidize Rare Book, which has yet to turn a profit.  >>

I am always amused, in the black humor sort of way, by those who "give up"
the stresses and soul-numbing emptiness of capitalistic pursuits in favor of
the arts, in whatever form that takes. Somehow, they always manage to bring
with them enough money to support their artistic endeavors. It seems to be
regarded as an especially admirable, puzzling, shocking, astonishing (pick
your adjective) thing to have made money (lots of it), then to do something
that everyone knows will never make the same kind of money, may not even
support you. Why is our culture so fascinated with these people and so
ignorant of and dismissive of those of us who do it daily without benefit of
a previous career in capitalism to support us? Does it take more courage to
follow your dream with a safety net or without one? Why are artists and other
creative people more often considered fools for working for love of their
craft? Just my small rant. Sorry if it offends. Barbara Harman