Re: New York and Michigan

---  Laura Russell <lrussell@ibm.net> wrote:
I will be visiting lower Michigan (Detroit, Grand Rapids) next week and
Manhattan during Thanksgiving week and would like visit any retail
stores that carry handmade papers, leather or bookbinding supplies. I
always stop at Kate's in New York when I'm there, but wondered if there
are any other places I should visit.

Also, does anybody know of any artist books exhibits going on in either
place?
--- end of quote ---

Ann Arbor usually has lots of book arts activities going on.  For paper, try
Hollander's (in the Kerrytown Mall, a converted factory just north of downtown).
Their web address is:

http://www.hollanders.com/

There are several binding operations, large and small in the area.  Right around
the corner from Hollanders is the Bessenberg Bindery, a small hand bindery.  The
other places are publishers with printing and binding operations on site.  One
is Thompson Brown and the other name escapes me right now.  There are also
several individual's studios in the area.  Look in your GBW Directory for
specific names.

As for exhibits, the Special Collections Library at the University of Michigan
is having an exhibit called "The Pursuit Of The Ideal:  The Life And Art Of
William Morris" from Sept. 9-Nov. 2.  For more info, check out:

http://www.lib.umich.edu/libhome/SpecColl.lib/intro.htm

I know there are binders and book artists in the Detroit area and the Grand
Rapids area, but I can't give you any specifics outside of the Ann Arbor area.

Have fun on your trip

Eric

 Eric Alstrom
 Guild of Book Workers WebBinder