Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 6 Sep 1999 to 7 Sep 1999

Paula - thanks for all the terrific information, and forgive me the
following nit:

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Paula Marie Gourley wrote:
Shakespeare & Company, the shop started by Silvia Beach, who, as we all
know, was the woman bookseller brave enough to publish James Joyce's
Ulysees...the bookshop is on the left bank of the Seine, facing
Notre Dame...

This is "not" Sylvia Beach's store, which was on the rue de l' Odeon. The
present Shakespeare & Company changed it name some time in the late '60s
or early 70s. It was originally Le Mistral, run by George Whitman, and a
great crash-pad and meeting place for Beatniks.

Nits...literally.

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.

To subscribe to WOID:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/WOID