Re: Scroll format

Have you thought of having a woodturner make the handles? Also, a wood lathe
may have some sort of dividing head so the turner can mark lines on the
handle evenly spaced around the rim, these could be a guide for carving the
details.

Mahogany is what I would use, it carves  well and finishes well . But you
live in South Africa and there must many local woods that would do a great
job but be totally unknown to carvers in North America

As for holding the paper, one idea would be to have a slit in the rod that a
tongue of the paper could go through, or perhaps the rod could be split in
half, the two halves could be clamped together by the handles. A turner can
make a split rod by temporarily gluing two pieces of wood together, turning
them as one piece, then breaking it apart.