Re: Scroll format

Your question suggests that you are not interested in producing an
Asian-style scroll (information about manufacturing those scrolls can
be found in _Japanese Scroll Paintings_ by Masako Koyano, and in
_Japanese Bookbinding_ by Kojiro Ikegami_)

Traditional Torah scrolls are attached to the rollers with sinew.

The parchment is pierced at three or more places along it's width to
mate with holes made in the wooden roller and the sinew is threaded through
both and tied off.

The 'stoppers at each end should be offset so that the stoppers from one
end do not hit the stoppers from the other end.  Or, there should be three
stoppers on each end.  One at the far end of one roll, and two at the near
end of that roll; the opposite should be done at the other end, so that
when the scroll is all rolled up, one stopper rests inside the two stoppers
at the other end of the scroll.  If you see what I mean.

Jack

>From:    Robyn Sassen <mephisto@GLOBAL.CO.ZA>
>Subject: Scroll format
>I'm planning a piece of work at the moment which is going to involve =
>text bound in a scroll format.  I'd like to achieve a likeness with the =
>traditional Torah scroll idea, which has a wooden stick with two =
>disc-like 'stoppers' at each end.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
Portland, OR 97217