Re: dying art

Alan,

I've had that "dying art" experience, too.  I'm a basketmaker and book
binder.  I think of basket weaving and book binding as uncommon, but not
dying arts.  I take every opportunity to demonstrate these talents at
museums, fairs, and craft shows.  At least once during every demonstration I
hear someone say, "That's a real dying art, huh?"

It used to drive me crazy.  Now, instead I see it as an opportunity for
education.  I usually direct the person to local exhibits or describe the
activities of the local guild and invite them to the next meeting.

It's too bad the TV reporter for the Don Sanders story didn't wrap up his
story with local book arts happenings.

Regards,

Kelly Anderson
Costa Mesa, CA