edition budgeting / costs / profit

What are some of the current practices out there for printmakers/printers
working with authors to publish books, especially how do you renumerate
the author, % of profit, fixed fee...? How does one budget for production
including presswork, binding in that context? How does one calculate
margin?

Does one say, I want this book to sell for $200, therefor my production
costs can't exceed 100/vol, and I split the profit ?:? with the author. I
know how to calculate production costs, that's easy, design/creative time
is difficult to cost. It's the less obvious issues I'm curious about.

I'd be interested in hearing about and discussing this.

Peter

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
<mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com>
<http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey>