Re: wrap your brain around this

I have taught art in public schools, community colleges and to people with no
previous experience at all.  Bookbinding is an art, and there are people who
have never shown much in the way of artistic ability before who do quite well in
it.  Get someone started so that they can see what the possibilities are, and I
have seen them take off like crazy with absolutely wonderfully creative ability.

    The Yehudi Menuins, Picassos, Wyeths, etc. are rarities who began life with
a brush or violin in their hands   These are the types you're talking about.
    But the "learning" which is here belittled is only exposure to the
possibilities, without which, in these others, genius would have withered.
    How many potential Menuins or Picassos or Whitmans are lost in the
senseless, brutal chaos of Kosovo, Ruwana, East Timor.
    In one of my classes, an eighth grade junior high girl, exposed for the
first time to the possibilities of design, composition, color, technique and
creativity, produced a sixteen color serigraph using one screen, after attending
a demonstration of the craft by Corita.  The subject was a complex landscape and
the requirements of composition, perspective and the rest were all met before
she began gluing up the first screen.
    New binders, viewing the rare and exotic bindings in the Huntington Library,
or the work of Bernard Middleton get a glimpse of the possible.  Classes with
the likes of Eleanore Ramsey, and enrollment at any of the multitudinous
workshops which come up can and DO learn the craft and those with even a spark
of imagination can then develop their ability to a high, artistic level.
    Years ago, after a thrilling organ concert by a young musician who later won
a post at the National Cathedral in Washington, crooned to his father how
wonderful it was that he was a born musician.  The father then told her of the
ten years of endless practice, intensive study at Peabody, lessons with a New
York master teacher, which led to his son's success.
    Don't EVER tell someone that artistic talent cannot be learned.  I know it
can.
Charles Schermerhorn