Re: wrap your brain around this

>Date:    Fri, 10 Sep 1999 07:56:36 -0400
>From:    "Timothy S. Larkin" <tsl1@CORNELL.EDU>
(snip)
>Anything can be learned, and anyone can learn to be an artist.

These seem, to me, to be two mutually exclusive assertions, and I disagree
with the second assertion.

I consider myself to be a very competent mechanic, but I lack the spark
which distinguishes mechanics from artists.

I've restored Egyptian papyri, designed an environmental enclosure for Lincoln
Cathedral's copy of Magna Carta, manufactured gold beater's skin for restoring
medieval manuscripts, harvest my own oak for making boards for medieval
manuscripts which I restore, grow my own flax and process it for making
thread
and cord, make my own parchment from deer and goat skins, make my own
alum-tawed skins, forge my own tools over a charcoal or coal fire, etc., so
I think that I know whereof I speak.

I'm damned good at what I do, but I do not claim to be an artist.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
Portland, OR 97217