book fraud and biblio-tsures

Peter D. Verheyen wrote:

> The reason I heard was insufficient circulation. Contact Harpers if you
> wish and get it from them, but please don't come looking for a class action
> lawsuit. I was a happy subscriber, disappointed that they folded, but
> wouldn't dream of suing over it.

Both the 'fraudulent bookbinder' and magazine cases sound awful small-scale to
warrant a class action lawsuit.  Before anyone starts talking about anything so
extreme,  the first place to start should be learning the applicable law (what law
has been breached or broken?) and how such cases are typically prosecuted,  if
criminal,  or handled in court,  if it's a civil case.  Gather information on who
might be able to help enforce the law,  and keep a log or journal of all actions,
transactions,  etc.  Learn all you can before you decide to take action.  Call the
public officials who might be able to give you information -- attorney general's
office?  post office?  local congressman's office?  Ask each office you call
(whether they offer help or not) if they can refer you to someone who CAN help.
Look at the books in your library or local bookstore on your legal rights and see
if any cases sound like yours.

One website that might be able to help:
 http://www.askthelawyers.com

THIS ABOVE ALL:  lawsuits -- court actions of any kind -- are NO FUN.  They can sap
your life,  drain your bank account,  leave you with headaches and insomnia and
unexplainable lower back pains,  and even if you win,  the lawyer is often the one
who ends up with all the money!  So I advise you to treat court as a last resort
and learn how else to get what you're entitled to.

Laura