Re: Italian translator needed.

The site is, indeed, wonderful;  the translations, on the other hand, are
word for word, and suck.

Whenever I hear about a translation site, I immediately try the following
two French->English examples:

"Honi soit qui mal y pense," a really hard one as it's a very old-fashioned
idiom;  "honi" isn't even a word in modern French.  The meaning is "Evil to
him who evil thinks."  The translation provided is "honi is which badly
thinks of it ."

"La plume de ma tante est sur la table de mon oncle," a really trivial one
-- except that "plume" has two meanings, the second derived from the first
in an obvious way -- and a sentence which used to be famous for being in
every English language textbook for learning French.  The most likely
meaning is "My aunt's pen is on my uncle's table."

The translation provided is "the feather of my aunt is on the table of my
uncle ."  While "plume" does mean both "feather" and "pen" -- pens were
once quills/feathers, the translation would likely be meaningless -- to say
nothing of its stilted tone;  this one is reminiscent of a word-for-word
translation done by a Polish diplomat in exile in London during the war.
The very distinguished man got up in front of a very distinguished British
audience, and, by way of thanking the British for all they had done for the
Polish government in exile, solemnly offered "May God pickle you."  He'd
looked up the Polish word for "preserve" in a Polish-English dictionary,
and ...

Dave