Skin Deep - vol.8

***We appologise in advance for the cross-posting of this message***

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce the publication of volume 8 of Skin Deep, our
bi-annual newsletter.

Welcome to issue no.8 of this newsletter.  This will be the last edition  of
Skin Deep this millennium.  In a few months time we be seeing in  the New
Year and the millennium bug permitting, volume no.9 of  this, our humble
newsletter.  In my 12 years with the company, I have  witnessed massive
changes in the world of publishing, printing and  bookbinding.  The
technology, both hardware and software, which  incidentally have aided in
the production of this newsletter, is  having a profound effect on all of
our business and private lives.   Printing-on-demand, short-run publishing,
the Internet and desktop  publishing will in the long-term effect the amount
of new books being  produced in the future.

I am often told that “the future of bookbinding is  secure.....”,”.....There
will always be a need for books.....”, “.....You can’t
beat a good book in bed!!!?”.  I am in no doubt about the validity of some
of these comments, but never-the-less, changes are afoot and these next few
years are most probably going to be interesting for all of us.

Anyway, enough of my musings and back to the matter in hand.  This  edition
sees part 1 of an article, ‘Good Books, Sound Binding’ by  Arthur W. Johnson
a valued contributor to Skin Deep.  And continuing  our series on
bookbinding organisations, our very own Peter Verheyen has supplied us with
a very informative article on the Guild of Bookworkers.  We also bring you
part 8 in the ongoing  saga, ‘The Manufacture of Leather’ and of course we
have included  our regular items including an 1800's poem, 'The Bookbinder's
Lament'.

Please enjoying reading this edition of Skin Deep at
www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm

David Lanning
Sales Director

J. Hewit & Sons Ltd. - London