restoration & cleaning of cloth binding.

I have a book that is about 50 years old. The cover material is a maroon
cloth of some type, but it looks like it has been impregnated with something
much the same as some imitation leathers are. The problem is that some of
this impregnating material (For lack of a better term.) has either worn in
some spots of something has eaten away at it a little bit and so it now has
light blotchy spots on it. I used to get stuff called "Book Clean Gel" from
TALAS and that seemed to help some. Can anyone recommend something good for
cleaning cloth bindings? Also something to dress up this otherwise
interesting book? Thanks. JT