Re: what to do with 'em?

Dear Friends
    This isn't really an answer to Roberta's question but it's a related
thought. I've been making books for over ten years now. Before that I
did calligraphy, both commercially and framed pieces for exhibition. I
exhibited frequently, rarely sold work, and was also frequently
discouraged. There was something depressing about having framed wrapped
work sitting in the closet or the attic. I now make books. I exhibit
frequently, never sell work, and it doesn't bother me a bit. Part of the
reason is that I have come up with another way of making an income-
teaching- and have no concerns or expectations about selling. But
another part relates to the nature of the book itself. To me, there is
something sad about a framed piece being wrapped and stored away. Its
purpose is to hang on a wall and it is not doing it. A book in one's
personal library on the other hand has two lives. It spends most of its
time sitting on a shelf, and is occasionally taken off the shelf and
read. So when my book returns from an exhibition and it is wrapped and
put on the shelf, it's still fulfilling one of its destinies. It goes
out into the world to be shared and then comes home to rest.
    I started this whole thought process because I just exhibited framed
pieces- Polaroid transfers- for the first time in a long time. I chose
to frame because the exhibit was in a space was very public and
unprotected and not appropriate for books. The exhibit comes down
tomorrow, I have sold nothing, and I won't be doing this again.