leather skiving or alternative?

I bind quite a few soft cover leather Bibles. I spend too much time skiving
the leather so that it will turn in easily and so that I can make the round
corners look neat on the pleated turn ins. I use either Cowhide or pigskin
from Gane most of the time. I have a skiving machine but I do chop up some
leather from time to time.<g>
Does anyone know of a way to make leather more pliable? One leather worker
suggested a leather conditioner on the inside of the leather to soften it.
Can anyone suggest something to save time? Thanks. JT